Alphagan is antiglaucomatous drug, which is a representative of alpha-transparency funds. It is highly selective, which determines its high efficiency and minimal number of developing side effects. Thanks to the use of this drug there appeared a possibility to effectively reduce high blood pressure of intra-ocular fluid that is the damage to structures of the eye in case of glaucomatous condition.
The main active ingredient of Alphagan is bromonidine tartrate. This component determines the therapeutic efficacy of ophthalmic drug. In addition, there are auxiliary substances, which are responsible for long-term storage of the drug and can also lead to some side effects.
Method of application
Alphagan is applied as follows:
- the treatment is carried out only locally by instillation into the conjunctival SAC;
- the dose is one drop;
- they are dripped for three days;
- with simultaneous use with other ophthalmic drugs that reduce intra-ocular pressure, they are dripped in 5-minute intervals.
The main contraindications that restrict the use of this eye care tools are as follows:
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug, appear in some cases, and only rarely;
- joint appointment with inhibitors of monoamine oxidase, which are often prescribed in neurologic and psychiatric practice;
- pregnant women;
- nursing mothers;
- children up to age 2 years;
- body weight of patient less than 20 kg.
Dizziness During treatment with this drug it can develop both systemic and local side effects. They include the following:
- swelling and redness of the conjunctiva;
- minor blurred vision;
- increased sensitivity to light;
- formation of tears in large quantity;
- pain in the head;
- hypertension or hypotension;
- respiratory failure;
- rashes on the skin;
- increasing the level of cholesterol in the blood;
- a violation of taste perception and some others.
Special instructions that must be observed and executed in the process of treatment with Alphagan are as follows:
- The simultaneous use of contact lenses is not allowed, and benzalkonium chloride may cause clouding. Therefore, before dripping the drug, the lenses should be previously removed, and re-dressed only after 20-30 minutes.
- Also, you should take caution when treating patients who have the following diseases: orthostatic hypotension, disturbances of cerebral circulation, failure of kidney function.
- In the process of dripping you should not touch the dropper to other things and eyes in order not to infect the contents of the vial.
- Alphagan does not interact with other ophthalmic drugs.
- However its use is the most efficient at an interval of 15-20 minutes.
- The therapeutic effect should appear within 24-36 hours, but if not, then an ophthalmologist should be consulted for a decision on further use of the drug.
- The duration of treatment may be several months.
- The drug should be stored at a temperature of 20-25 degrees.