Altace is a drug that is used for high blood pressure. This is the name of the active substance, and one of the trade names of the drug. The drug belongs to the group of ACE inhibitors, that is, it inhibits the action of enzyme, which promotes the activation of angiotensin II, a substance that causes powerful vasoconstriction.
This effect is important not only for decompression, but also for normal heart function. It increases the volume of blood pumped per minute and makes the cardiovascular system carry the load better.
Patients with chronic heart failure use Altace to reduce the risk of sudden death. For patients with diabetes this treatment allows maintaining the condition of the kidneys, reducing microalbuminuria.
Indications for use
- Chronic heart failure
- Failure of cardiac function after myocardial infarction
- Nephropathy associated or not associated with diabetes
- Necessary prevention of sudden cardiac death to people who have undergone surgery on vessels, stroke, people who suffer from narrowing of the arteries
Altace is released in the form of tablets at a dosage of 2.5 to 10 mg. The required quantity of the drug is selected individually. You should begin treatment with 1,25 – 2,5 mg, and then gradually increase the dose. The effect of this drug becomes obvious after 1-2 hours after ingestion, reaches a peak after 3 to 6 hours, and totality lasts about a day.
- Severe violations of liver or kidney
- Stenosis (narrowing) of the renal arteries or the mouth of the aorta
- Treatment of patients with kidney transplant
- Treatment of minor patients
The use of the drug during pregnancy is prohibited. Before using the medication you should verify the absence of pregnancy.
If a patient becomes pregnant at the beginning of treatment, she should immediately replace treatment with Altace to other therapy. If you do not there are possible risk of damage to the fetus. Especially the pathology of the fetus occurs in the 1st trimester of pregnancy.
Altace has the following negative effects on the fetus:
- disrupts the development of the kidneys of the fetus,
- lowers AD of the fetus and newborn,
- violates the health of the kidneys,
- causes hyperkalemia, hypoplasia of the skull,
- contributes to skull deformation and pulmonary hypoplasia.
Altace, like other drugs from the group of ACE inhibitors, can cause a dry cough. This undesirable effect for many patients makes it impossible to take such drugs. Also it can excessively decrease blood pressure. There are also frequent complaints of headaches and dizziness. Some patients have had violations of laboratory parameters of urine, blood, which indicate the imbalance of metabolism. In rare cases there are complaints of muscle spasms, hair loss.