Atarax is a sedative drug, against overstimulation, anxiety. Its main active ingredient is hydroxyzine. The drug is marked with the following activity:
- Anxiolitic (anti anxious);
- Sedative (soothing);
- M- anticholinergic (reduction of tone of smooth muscles of the gastrointestinal tract, respiratory system, blood vessels, etc.);
In about half an hour after intake of a dose of Atarax there will be an effect. It relaxes the musculature, and not only smooth ones, but also skeletal muscles. There is itching caused by allergic reactions (e.g., urticaria), pain. Treatment with Atarax causes sleep improvement, mental and cognitive abilities are also normalized. It is noted that when the therapy is finished, human health is not degraded; restored functions of the nervous system aren’t lost.
Atarax is used for
- Anxiety disorders of different kinds;
- Various somatic diseases associated with disorders of the nervous system;
- Neurological and mental pathologies;
- Alcoholism and drugs;
- In combination with means for anesthesia;
- Itching caused by dermatitis;
Release Atarax in pill form. They should be dosed based on age, weight and condition of the patient. So, the instruction the drug Atarax reports on various schemes for its application. For elderly patients, as well as suffering from pathologies of the liver or kidneys dose should be reduced. The main thing that must be clear to the person reading the abstract – this medicine can be used only on prescription.
Atarax is contraindicated in cases of
- Intolerance to cetirizine;
- Pregnancy, childbirth, and lactation;
It should be used with caution in case of:
- Hyperplasia of prostate;
- Myasthenia gravis;
- Elevated intra-ocular pressure.
- The propensity to seizures;
- The propensity to arrhythmia;
- The combination of Atarax with other drugs should be closely monitored.
Side effects and overdose
Treatment with this drug can cause drowsiness and headaches, which usually disappear within the first few days. The digestive system may experience dry mouth, constipation. There may also be complaints of blurred vision, convulsions, nausea. Also, Atarax can cause a decrease in pressure, arrhythmia, disorders of the liver and so on.
In case of overdose with this drug all of these effects will be strengthened. The drug can cause paradoxical stimulation of the nervous system, although is oppression is more expected. The health of the cardiovascular system and the liver will be also affected. This condition is life threatening. Patients should receive adequate medical care.