Bactrim is the drug with detrimental impact on bacteria. It belongs to the group of sulfonamides and contains two active ingredients: sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. They have a broad spectrum activity against different bacteria (e.g. staphylococci, Listeria, Shigella, Klebsiella, and many others) and protozoa. Bactrim has a bactericidal effect, that is, destroys all forms of microorganisms – adults, and developing ones.
Bactrim is used for:
- Respiratory tract infections, including pneumonia, lung abscess and so on
- Infections of the genitourinary system, including cystitis, prostatitis, pyelonephritis, and so on
- Infections of the digestive system, including cholera, cholecystitis, diarrhea and so on
- Infections of the ear, nose and throat, including sinusitis, otitis, laryngitis
- Infections of the skin and soft tissues, including abrasions, septic wounds, acne and so on
- Other infectious processes such as malaria, toxoplasmosis, osteomyelitis, and others
Bactrim is released in the form suspension. The packaging is attached with a measuring spoon. The treatment is prescribed for patients from the second month of life. The instruction of Bactrim contains a description of the three schemes of dosing for patients over the age of twelve years:
- Standard scheme – four scoops in the morning and evening
- Minimal scheme, longer than two weeks therapy – two scoops in the morning and evening
- Maximum scheme, designed for severe cases – six scoops twice a day
Also, for some specific infections it is prescribed a special scheme using the medication. For example, women whose health is suffering from acute but uncomplicated, cystitis, can take a one-time eight to twelve tablespoons of suspension. For younger patients the dose of this antibiotic is calculated from their weight and condition.
Take Bactrim after meals. A single dose of medication must be accompanied by copious drinking.
Bactrim is contraindicated in case of
- Severe dysfunction of kidneys or liver
- Some diseases of the blood
- Pregnancy and lactation
- The treatment of children under the age of two months
Bactrim should be taken with caution at
- Deficiency of folic acid, including, chronic alcoholism, elderly patients
- Severe allergies and asthma
- Disorders of the thyroid gland
Side effects and overdose of Bactrim
The use of this antibiotic can disrupt the gastrointestinal tract, causing indigestion, pancreatitis, dysfunction of the liver and so on. On the part of the respiratory system you may experience cough, infection in lungs. Nervous system of some patients responds to treatment with Bactrim in an undesirable way. It can cause headaches, depression, hallucinations and other side effects. In addition, this drug can cause renal disease, hematopoiesis, allergic reactions of various types.
Overdose of Bactrim can cause a dangerous condition characterized by severe poisoning, disorders of the nervous system. A patient requires skilled care. In particular, a patient may need hemodialysis.