Betapace belongs to a class of non-selective beta blockers that are able to exert anti-arrhythmic effect on the body.
The mechanism of the effect is long action and the lengthening of the refractory period, slowing down the AV conduction. It reduces the heart rate.
Indications for use
- supraventricular tachycardia (including WPW syndrome),
- paroxysmal form of atrial fibrillation,
- ventricular tachycardia.
Method of application
The drug is taken on an empty stomach, it is recommended to drink a small amount of water.
- acute heart failure or decompensated chronic failure,
- cardiogenic shock,
- sinoatrial blockade,
- sinus bradycardia (if heart rate is less than 55 to 60 beats per minute),
- syndrome of weakness of sinus node (the heart disease that is associated with the rhythm of its contractions),
- bronchial asthma (severe form),
- arterial hypotension (systolic pressure is less than 90 mm Hg),
- occlusive disease of peripheral vessels (especially complicated alternating claudication or gangrene),
- diabetes with ketoacidosis,
- simultaneous intake of MAO inhibitors,
- hypersensitivity to Sotalol and included drug substances.
The drug should be taken with caution:
- in the presence of chronic heart failure,
- in the presence of pheochromocytoma,
- in case of hepatic and renal failure,
- when Raynaud’s syndrome,
- myasthenia gravis,
- in depressive States,
- by patients of advanced age,
- by children.
- Particular caution is observed if there are allergic reactions in history because the active ingredient betapace can increase sensitivity to allergens.
- Patients with renal insufficiency need adjustment of required dosage of the medication.
At the end of therapy the dose is gradually reduced.
In the case of the planning of the operation the reception of betapace should be stopped completely or you should choose a drug that has minimal negative inotropic effects.
Status of overdose with betapace can be very heavy. There are disturbed heart function, breathing, it may develop cramps up to loss of consciousness. Patients need urgent assistance – removal of excess medication, monitoring, timely adjustment of the main systems of the body.