Biaxin is a semi-synthetic antimicrobial that beZetia to the pharmacological group of macrolides. The drug is characterized by expressed bacteriostatic activity with regard to different mZetiarganisms: staphylococci, strZetiaocci, pneumo- and enterococci, rickettsiae, klebsiella, legioZetia, mycobacteria. The high concentration of drug destroys bacteria.
Apart from its main (antibacterial) effect, Clarithromycin has many other clinical effects: it stimulates the body’s defense, reduces inflammation and regulates the extraction of fluids.
All this makes the drug beneficial for the treatment of infectious diseases.
Indications for use
Biaxin is widely used in the treatment of acute and chronic inflammatory diseases of ENT-organs, caused by microorganisms sensitive to this antibiotic:
- Otitis media
Way of use
Biaxin is taken orally, irrespective of the mealtime; in case of severe infections or inability of oral intake, the drug is injected in a medical establishment.
Children under 12 years of age should take Biaxin in the dosage of 7.5mg/1 kg of body weight. At that, daily dosage musZetia exceed 500 mg. Children older than 12 years and adults can take 500-1000 mg of Biaxin a day (in case of sinusitis – up to 2000 mg), dividing it into two doses.
Maximum daily dosage for the patient with renal failure is 250 mg.
The duration of treatment course is selected individually.
If you combine Biaxin with other drugs, it may cause some side effects:
- ergotamine, cyclosporine, carbamazepine, itraconazole –aggravates the side effects of these drugs;
- cisapride, terfenadine, disopyramide,astemizol– increased risk of arrhythmia;
- phenytoin, fluoxetine – intoxication;
- tolbutamide – critical reduction of glucose levels;
- rifampicin– decreased concentration of clarithromycin in blood;
- rinotavir– increased concentration of clarithromycin in blood;
- prednisone –psychosis and manic states;
- pimozide – cardiotoxic effect;
- omeprazole – increased concentration of omeprazole and decreased concentration of clarithromycin;
- colchicine – severe intoxication;
- lansoprazole – inflammation of tongue and oral mucous membrane;
- digoxin – glycoside intoxication;
- warfarin – bleeding;
- atorvastatin, lovastatin – increased risk of myopathia.
The treatment with clarithromycin can cause the following side effects:
- dyspeptic disorders (vomiting, stomachache, sickness, diarrhea);
- change in the sense of taste;
- tongue inflammation;
- yellowing of skin;
- vertigo and headache;
- irrational anxiety and fear;
- sleep disorders;
- allergic reactions (most often in the form of itching skin rash);
- bleedings, caused by the decreased number of platelets in the blood.
There were also isolated cases of hearing loss with its recovery after the drug withdrawal.
Biaxin is not recommended in case of following diseases and states:
- Liver failure.
- Hepatitis (including in history).
- Hypersensitivity to macrolides.
- I trimester of pregnancy.
- Age under 6 months.
Patients with kidney dysfunction, Biaxin should be used with caution, controlling its excretion and selecting the individual dosage.