Buspar has buspirone active substance, which has anti-anxiety (anxiolytic) effect. It belongs to the group of barbiturates. When using this tool, the muscle relaxant effect (the effect of muscle relaxation), anticonvulsant effect is not marked. The Buspar has practically no sedative, hypnotic action, especially in the treatment of low doses.
Anxiety disorders, including abstinence, agoraphobia, panic attacks and so on.
It is produced and sold as part of the drug Buspar, each pill may contain 5 or 10 mg of buspirone. Buspar is usually started with three-time intake of 5 mg of the substance during the day. Then, in 2 or 3 days, the dose is gradually increased to 5 mg, achieving a positive effect. The maximum per day is up to 60 mg of Buspar.
- Severe renal or hepatic insufficiency.
- Treatment of minors (there is no data on efficacy and safety).
- Pregnancy and lactation.
Overdose of Buspar is an acute condition which occurs as a result of the administration of very large doses of the drug. However, if you take the adequate doses of Buspar for a long time, there may be undesirable reactions for various reasons.
- Pain in the heart, a decrease or increase in blood pressure, fainting, heart complications, cardiac rhythm, acute violation of cerebral circulation, worsening heart failure.
- Headache, dizziness, tremor of the limbs, irritability and nervousness, slowing of reactions, apathetic condition, dysphoric disorders, loss of coordination, convulsions and epileptic seizures, sleep disorders in the form of a poor night sleep and nightmares, psychosis, extrapyramidal complications, stupor, stuttering, claustrophobic.
- Blurred vision, tinnitus, conjunctivitis, itching in eyes, photophobia, increased intra-ocular pressure, disturbance of smell and taste sensations, tinnitus, swelling of the nasal mucosa.
- Voiding in urinary retention or frequent urination, menstrual disorders, decreased libido, impotence, urinary incontinence while sleeping, especially at night, inflammatory processes in small pelvis organs.
- Disorders of the thyroid gland, discharge from the breast.
- Vomiting, increased flatulence, diarrhea, intestinal bleeding, reduced or a complete lack of appetite, significant loss of weight.
- Response from the musculoskeletal system in the form of weakness in muscles, inflammation of joints, muscle spasms, rigid state.
- The appearance of skin rash, peeling of the skin, loss of hair, swelling.
The appearance of the above symptoms or combination of them should make you stop taking the medicine. Then you should seek medical help. The doctor will examine you and think about the replacement therapy with Buspar in treatment with another drug with similar pharmacological action.
When you use Buspar in incorrectly selected dosages for a long period of time, there may be signs of overdose: dysfunction of the digestive system, severe sleepiness, headache, and dizziness, impairment of consciousness of varying severity. Treatment of overdose is to take immediate action.
In order to remove residues of the drug from the digestive tract, gastric lavage is prescribed. If the patient is conscious, gastric lavage can be in a natural way — taking a large amount of liquid and the vomit act is artificially provoked. However, your doctor may prescribe the gastric lavage probe method. This method is most effective because it allows you to release the stomach from its content.
The reception of chelators will reduce the intensity of the process of absorption of a pharmaceutical substance and to withdraw the remnants of the drug through the intestine. Due to this purpose a doctor may prescribe Enterosgel, Filtrum STI, Polifepan, Polysorb, Activated carbon. Medications are dosed depending on body weight of the patient.
Symptomatic therapy is the reception of drugs that normalize the digestive tract, nervous and cardiovascular systems. Drugs are used in the age dosage depending on the severity of symptoms of poisoning.
The specific antidote of Buspar is unknown, that’s why the treatment of poisoning is always aimed at removal of residual drug from the body and the normalization of its vital functions.