A combination drug Cafergot is a natural ergot alkaloid which increases the tone of extended extra-cranial arteries, affects serotonin receptors. Caffeine accelerates and increases the absorption of ergotamine.
Indications for use
The use of Cafergot is indicated in case of such diseases and conditions:
weak and moderate pain, including that pain, which is associated with spasms of smooth muscles:
- headache and toothache;
- pain in muscles and joints;
- renal, biliary and intestinal colic;
- spasms of the bladder, ureter;
- spastic constipation;
- other spastic conditions of the internal organs.
Cafergot is contradicted in the following cases:
- strong sensitivity to the components of the tool;
- hepatic, renal, respiratory, severe heart failure;
- bronchial asthma;
- AV blockade of the second and third degrees;
- alcoholism of the chronic form;
- The deficit of glucose-6- phosphate dehydrogenase;
- drug dependence;
- recent traumatic brain injury;
- intracranial hypertension;
- blood disorders — leukopenia, agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia;
- pregnancy and feeding;
- simultaneous use of MAO inhibitors, also do not use the medicine within two weeks of stopping taking these medications;
- the simultaneous use of medications that contain acetaminophen. Cafergot is prescribed with caution to old people and patients with constitutional hyperbilirubinemia.
Nausea, vomiting, allergic reactions, increased blood pressure. Long-term use may cause weakness and pain in limbs, tremor, cardialgia, tachycardia, bradycardia, fibrotic changes of pleura and retroperitoneal space.
Method of application and doses
The drug is taken inside. Take 2 tablets at the beginning of attack; if necessary, 1 tablet at intervals of 30 min until improvement occurs, without exceeding the maximum daily dose (6 tablets). The maximum weekly dose is 10 tablets. In case of subsequent attacks the initial dose is increased to 3 tablets, depending on the total dose taken during the previous attacks.
Symptoms: drowsiness, confusion, tachycardia, dizziness, paresthesia, depression of the respiratory center, coma.
Treatment: gastric lavage, activated charcoal, symptomatic therapy.
During the treatment you should not take alcohol.
The dosage is determined individually, if a patient is diagnosed with liver or kidney failure.
If the treatment lasts more than three days, or the patient takes Cafergot in high doses, it is necessary to control peripheral blood, liver function. You should pay attention to the number of platelets, leukocytes, creatinine, and liver enzymes activity in plasma. It is important to note that the symptoms of hepatotoxicity may develop after 2-3 days after taking large doses of the drug.
If you drive a transport or work with the exact mechanisms, you need to consider individual reactions to components of the medication.