Hyzaar contains a combination of the drugs of hydrochlorothiazide and losartan.
Hydrochlorothiazide, being a typical thiazide diuretic, prevents the body from absorbing significant amounts of salt which can cause fluid retention.
Losartan is an antagonist of angiotensin receptors and prevents the narrowing of blood vessels, lowering blood pressure and improving blood flow.
Hyzaar is used to treat hypertension and to reduce the risk of heart attack to patients suffering from coronary artery disease.
Hyzaar should not be used to treat patients who are allergic to penicillin or sulfa drugs.
During he treatment of patients suffering from diabetes, Hyzaar should not be co-administered with drugs containing aliskiren or its analogues (Amturnide, Tekturna, Tekamlo, Valturna).
Method of application
Take the medicine in accordance with the prescription of your doctor. Follow all the requirements as it was specified in the instructions to the drug.
Hyzaar is taken regardless of food, but it is recommended to drink a full glass of water.
Skip the missed dose if there is the time for receiving the next scheduled dose.
Do not take additional medication to compensate the missed dose.
In very rare cases, the intake of Hyzaar can lead to renal failure. Call your doctor immediately if after taking the drug you are suffering from unexplained muscle pain or weakness, especially with fever, unusual feeling of fatigue and a visible darkening of the urine.
Pills of Hyzaar not assigned when:
- indications in pediatric patients, adolescents;
- pathologies of the kidney violation of their duties (if KK less 30);
- pathologies of the liver with infringement of its functions;
- hypersensitivity to losartan, its structural analogues.
- hypersensitivity to the components of the additive function;
- hypersensitivity to derived sulfonamides;
- lactose intolerance.
You should take it with caution in case when:
- water-electrolyte imbalance;
- burdened allergic anamnesis;
- failure of the kidneys (QC is 30-50 ml/min);
- renal artery stenosis on both sides;
- hypovolaemia (especially in patients receiving diuretics);
- the stenosis of the artery to the kidney (if there is only one kidney);
- therapy, NSAIDs;
- bronchial asthma;
- pathologies of the connective tissue system.
The reception of Hyzaar can weaken the attention or slow reaction. Be careful if you drive or perform work that requires increased concentration and care.
It is not recommended to take alcohol because it may even more lower the pressure and increase the likelihood of side effects.
Try to avoid overheating and dehydration during treatment with Hyzaar. Follow the recommendations of your doctor about the type and amount of liquids you should drink.
In some cases, the consumption of too much liquid can be as unsafe as possible.
Common side effects when taking Hyzaar are minor and can manifest as:
- pain in the abdomen;
- back pain;
- dizziness and fatigue;
- skin rash;
- runny or stuffy nose, sore throat;
- dry cough.
Be sure to contact your doctor if you feel:
- eye pain and vision problems;
- rapid weight gain and a decrease of urination;
- mood changes;
- increased thirst;
- loss of appetite;
- nausea and vomiting;
- acceleration or other heart rhythm disorder;
- yellowing of the skin or eyes.
Immediately call an ambulance if you see the signs of allergic reaction to Hyzaar, namely:
- difficult breathing;
- swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.