Klonopin belongs to the class of benzodiazepines. The drug affects the unbalanced chemicals in the brain that can cause seizures.
Klonopin is used for:
- Epilepsy – for patients, from infants, suffering from various forms of the disease
- The West Syndrome
- Tonic-clonic convulsions
- Epilepticus status
- The hypertonicity of the muscles
- Insomnia or somnambulism
- Acute withdrawal syndrome, accompanied by delirium, hallucinations, agitation and so on
- Panic condition
Klonopin is also released in the form of solutions for injection, and in pill form. You should begin treatment with the lowest dosage and in a few weeks the dose has to be adjusted to the minimum effective one. The instruction of Klonopin shows how to allocate the daily dose. It is recommended to divide it into three or four parts. If Klonopin is used in the injections, it should be taken slowly.
- Violations of the respiratory center, severe depression of respiratory function
- Shock states and coma
- Reduced muscle tone
- Acute poisoning with alcohol, drugs (hypnotics, narcotic analgesics)
- Severe depression
- Angle-closure glaucoma
- Pregnancy and lactation
Side effects and overdose of Klonopin
This drug can have a noticeable effect on the nervous system. Initiation of therapy with Klonopin is accompanied by lethargy, headache, stupor. Prolonged use of high doses may cause broken speech (articulation) and vision. Sometimes it is observed a paradoxical reaction of excitement, increase of the number of seizures (in some forms of the disease). The depressive states are also possible.
Also, the may be reactions from the other systems:
- Various digestive disorders, impaired liver function, increased salivation or dry mouth
- Endocrine system – menstrual irregularities, sexual desire, premature puberty in children
- Urinary delay or urinary incontinence, kidney dysfunction
- Cardiovascular system – drop of pressure, palpitations
- Respiratory system – shortness of breath, hypersecretion of mucus
An overdose of Klonopin may cause serious condition – respiratory depression, consciousness, weakness of the heart. In severe cases there may be coma ensues. The danger is also that the health of people with epilepsy does not allow taking drugs – antagonists of Klonopin. Therefore, therapy focuses on symptoms of poisoning.