The substance is a strong painkiller that can cause addiction. However, in many countries it is used to treat drug addiction as a deputy of other opioids.
Methadone is a synthetic drug that belong to the group of opioids.
- Analgesic, sedative.
Indications for use
Despite the fact that the Methadone is a strong analgesic drug, most often it is used for detoxification in the treatment of opiate dependence (complex therapy). Also the product is used as a maintenance drug in the treatment of such dependence, in combination with appropriate medical and social measures.
Often after treatment with this drug it raises the question of how to quit Methadone completely and get rid of drug dependence.
The remedy is contraindicated:
- in case of hypersensitivity reactions to the active or auxiliary substances in the composition;
- to patients with respiratory failure;
- to patients with acute bronchial asthma, including history;
- in case of hypercapnia.
Tablet form is not used in case of suspicion on intestinal obstruction.
Most often it is observed:
- General weakness, nausea, sweating;
- dizziness, vomiting.
- It may also cause:
- fatigue, headaches, swelling;
- Central nervous system excitation, dysphoria or euphoria, disorientation in space;
- cardiac arrhythmia, bradycardia, abnormalities in ECG, extra-systoles, heart failure;
- lowering blood pressure, phlebitis, tachycardia, ventricular and atrial fibrillation;
- constipation, discomfort in the abdomen, spasm of the bile ducts, glossitis;
- dry mucous membranes, hypokalemia, weight gain, hypomagnesemia;
- violation of sleep, hallucinations, decreased visual acuity, seizures;
- pulmonary edema, oppression of the breathing process;
- allergic rashes on the skin;
- amenorrhea, urinary retention and decreased libido.
If you take the medication course for a long time and don’t deviate from the regimens, side effects will gradually disappear within a few weeks. However, sweating, and constipation may persist much longer.
For old people
Conducting therapy to elderly patients, you must be cautious:
- with alcohol
The drug is not recommended to combine with alcohol-based drinks.
- With antibiotics
Some types of antibiotics, such as macrolides, can influence the pharmacokinetic parameters of the substance.
During pregnancy and lactation
There are not enough controlled studies to make definite conclusions about the safe use of substances by pregnant women.
However, children who were born by patients who used Methadone during pregnancy, often have a number of defects. Also such children may have a physical dependence on the drug. The withdrawal syndrome is manifested for several days after birth.
The drug can be used by pregnant women only on the recommendation of the attending physician.
The drug is excreted in breast milk. Breastfeeding should be stopped.