Rosuvastatin

Description

Rosuvastatin, like other statins, reduces the production of LDL cholesterol in the liver. Also, the drug increases the number of LDL receptors on the surface of hepatocytes, accelerating the removal of “bad” cholesterol from the blood. This leads to a decrease in the synthesis of lipoproteins of very low density (VLDL), which are the most dangerous in terms of atherosclerosis. The drug has a positive effect on blood vessels, not associated with the level of cholesterol in the blood. It reduces chronic inflammation and stimulates the production of nitric oxide, relaxing the arteries. This is called pleiotropic (secondary) effects.

Rosuvastatin is slowly absorbed and long excreted from the body than other statins. After taking the pill the maximum concentration of active substance in blood is reached after approximately 5 hours. About 90% of the dose is excreted by the liver. The remaining 10% is excreted by the kidneys. Due to the peculiarities of its pharmacokinetics, rosuvastatin causes fewer adverse interactions with other drugs than statins of the previous generation. But this does not mean that it has less side effects.

Indications for use

Elevated cholesterol LDL in adults. Rosuvastatin is also prescribed to adolescent patients with hereditary hypercholesterolemia. This medicine or other statins are prescribed by a doctor if a diet and physical activity don’t help enough. During the treatment patients should follow a diet and maintain physical activity. Rosuvastatin has a unique indication for the use — increased C-reactive protein. A blood test for C-reactive protein shows the risk of heart attack and stroke more authentically than the “bad” and “good” cholesterol.

Rosuvastatin has become popular because it can be taken in lower doses than other statins. However, it lowers LDL cholesterol and increases HDL more strongly. Start with a dosage of 10 mg per day. After 4 weeks it can be increased to 20 mg. The dosage of 40 mg per day is prescribed only to patients with high cardiovascular risk. If you take this dosage of the drug, you should give blood tests regularly in order to monitor the effectiveness of medication and possible side effects. Excessive reduction of LDL cholesterol increases the risk of depression, disorders of thinking, memory, and probably overall mortality. Elderly patients, who have problems with liver and kidneys, have no special instructions about reducing the dosage.

Side effects

Rosuvastatin, and other statins have great benefit to patients with a high risk of heart attack or ischemic stroke. These drugs should be discontinued only if the side effects become unbearable. Statins sometimes cause muscle pain, disorders of thinking and memory, digestive disorders. These problems can be similar to age-related conditions. It is unlikely that the reception of statins cause liver problems. It can deteriorate the results of blood tests for ALT and AST, but it does not mean that liver function is impaired. Don’t worry about the side effects associated with liver.

Drug contraindications

Liver Disease in active form. Statins are not prescribed if the levels of liver enzymes in the blood are in 3 times above the norm, and the reason for this is not clear. Pregnancy and breast-feeding. Hypersensitivity to rosuvastatin and other statins or auxiliary substances of the tablets. The drug should be prescribed with caution to patients with deficiency of thyroid hormones, liver problems and kidney problems, electrolyte disturbance, as well as people who abuse alcohol.

Pregnancy and breastfeeding

Rosuvastatin and other statins are contraindicated during pregnancy. There is evidence that this medication affects the development of the fetus, increases the risk of disorders of newborns. Women of reproductive age who take statins should use effective methods of contraception. If there is an unplanned pregnancy, you should stop taking pills of cholesterol immediately. It is not recommended to breast-feed during treatment with this drug.