Triamterene is an active diuretic drug.
It is different from most of diuretics by increasing the excretion of sodium from the human body with virtually no effect on the potassium content.
The action is focused on intense inhibition of secretion of potassium, which takes place in the distal tubule.
Triamterene can significantly reduce the development of hypokalemia arising from prolonged use of various derivatives of benzothiazepine, and improves their diuretic effect.
Triamterene is widely used to treat a variety of diseases. Due to this drug therapy is held in case of the next diagnoses:
- the formation of edema, which is caused by poor circulation;
- signs of cirrhosis of the liver;
- intensive development of nephrotic syndrome, when in case of kidney disease there is a severe violation of protein metabolism, in addition to the appearance of edema,;
- in the combination treatment with thiazide diuretics;
- hypokalemia, which is accompanied by individual intolerance of digitalis glycosides;
- the manifestation of symptoms of hypertension.
Method of application
Drugs are taken inside as an independent treatment and in combination with various diuretics.
In that case, when the drug is taken without additional diuretic drugs, 0,5-0,2 g per kilogram of body weight of the patient, the reception of which can be divided into two times, in morning and at lunch time after a meal.
If the medication is used as one component in the comprehensive therapy, the recommended dosage provides the use of a smaller quantity of drug (the dose is calculated by the attending physician for each patient individually).
If necessary, the dosage can be increased to the optimum size to achieve the desired therapeutic result. The dose should be increased gradually – this will help to prevent the occurrence or proposing or very fast urination.
In most cases the medicine is taken every day. You need to remember that the maximum daily dose should not exceed 30 g.
Triamterene is forbidden to use in case of the following diseases:
- Individual intolerance to any component of the drug.
- The period of carrying a child and lactation.
- Patients below the age of eighteen years.
- Manifestation anuria.
- The development of hyperkalemia.
- Renal and hepatic failure acute.
- Hepatic coma or precoma.
- The combination with different diuretics of potassium-sparing action.
During pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy women are allowed taking the drug only in the case if the benefits for the expectant mother are significantly greater than the existing risk of violations of normal development of a child.