Truvada is an anti-viral drug of systemic action, used for the treatment of HIV – infection . Every pill contains 200 mg of emtricitabine and 300 mg of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumerate. According to the feedbacks of the specialists, such combination has an effective direct impact on the human immunodeficiency virus. Truvada and its analogs can be prescribed to the adults patients aged 18 years or over. This drug isn’t used in the pediatric practice. You should take one pill a day. The dosage correction depending on the age of sex of the patient is not required. If such treatment is necessary, Truvada can be prescribed to the pregnant women. The treatment of patients with kidney and liver disorder must be carried out with caution and intensive monitoring.
Indications for use
- The treatment of HIV-1 and HIV -2 infection in adults (in combination with the other anti-retroviral drugs).
The Studies have shown that this drug is effective preventive measure for the non-infected persons only if you take it every day, as well as in the treatment of HIV-infected persons. At that, the researchers say that this medicine also have side effects.
For example, it can reduce the bone density or aggravate the kidney function. The fact that the persons can suffer from the side effects of the drug they use for preventive reasons, became a persuasive argument for not permitting the use of Truvada pills for the prevention of HIV.
- Adults- 1 pill (orally), during the meal or on an empty stomach.
- Older persons.
- Choose the dosage for the older patients cautiously, considering the high frequency of liver, kidney or heart disorder, as well as the associated diseases or the use of other drugs.
- People with creatinine clearance (<30 ml/min) and the patients who need haemodialysis
- Lactation period
- Children under 18 years
- Hypersensitivity to any drug component
Use the drug with caution in the following cases
- Old age
- Kidney failure with creatinine clearance (between 30 and 50 ml/min)
- Simultaneous use with didanosine
It is not recommended to the patients with lactase deficiency and lactose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption, as the drug contain lactose.
Possible allergic reactions, anemia, hyperglycemia, headache, sickness and kidney failure
There is no clinical data on the use of Truvada in the dosages exceeding the therapeutic ones.
In case of overdose, the patient must be under the medical supervision to reveal the signs of toxicity. If necessary, you should receive the standard supportive therapy. Haemodialysis excretes up to 30% of dosage of emtricitabine and about 10% of dosage of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate.