Vytorin is a drug designed to lower the concentration of cholesterol and triglycerides in a person’s blood. By its action it is similar to the drug called Lipimar, as both drugs have the same active substance – atorvastatin. It is known that the exchange of fats affects not only and not so much the weight of the patient as the state of his cardiovascular system, liver and other vital organs.
Therefore, such remedies are used not only for primary, for example, hereditary hypercholesterolemia, but also for the prevention of vascular and cardiac dysfunction, for example, with angina pectoris, ischemic heart disease, coronary blood flow pathologies, and so on.
Vytorin is produce in tablets, the reception of which does not need to be associated with food intake, as the absorption of the active ingredient in any case remains high. The drug’s instruction emphasizes the need for a gradual increase in its dose. The concentrations of atorvastatin that provide effective treatment or prevention are determined individually. At the same time, an increase in the dose should be made, on average, monthly, by monitoring the changes in the lipid status in the patient’s blood by laboratory methods. In other words, if Vytorin is prescribed to you, then in parallel you should periodically make blood analysis and report with the results of the research to the treating doctor who will evaluate the effectiveness of this therapy.
The drug is used for therapy in patients:
- With primary indicators of the degree of hyperlipidemia,
- With the diagnosis “heterozygous hypercholesterolemia (familial)”,
- With homozygous hypercholesterolemia (familial) against a background of elevated cholesterol,
- With a mixed form of hyperlipidemia,
- With dysbetalipoproteinemia as a supplement to the diet,
- With diseases of the cardiac system against the background of dyslipidemia,
- With secondary prevention of elimination of the total risk of death.
The drug is contraindicated in the following situations:
- Over sensitivity to the constituent components of the agent
- Lactose insufficiency
- Impaired absorption of glucose-lactose
- Patients with acute forms of kidney disease
- Patients with certain diseases of skeletal muscles
- The use for the treatment of pregnant women is excluded
- To exclude therapy of children up to 10 years of age, because there is no data on the treatment of children by Vytorin
- To exclude the use of alcoholic beverages during the period of treatment with this medicine
- In the period of driving an auto or managing complex mechanisms
Side effects and overdose of Vytorin
In studies of the effect of this drug on human health, rare undesirable symptoms that may accompany it have been identified. These are malfunctions in the work of the digestive, nervous, musculoskeletal systems, such as: dyspepsia, headaches or insomnia, muscle pain. In addition, hair loss, glucose metabolism disorders, decreased sexual function in men, allergies are possible. However, the researchers were unable in any given case to directly link the use of Vytorin to the onset of certain symptoms.
In case of an overdose, symptomatic therapy is required, that is, the treatment should be aimed at specific abnormalities manifested in this patient.