Zetia is the representative of class of lipid-lowering drugs. It is produced on the basis of the active substance – ezetimibe. It prevents the absorption of cholesterol, reduces its intake from the intestine into the liver and increases the excretion of cholesterol.
Indications for use
Zetia is designed to reduce high levels of plasma blood cholesterol.
It is prescribed for the following diseases:
- Primary hypercholesterolemia
- Homozygous sitosterolemia
- Homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia
- A good effect can be achieved with simultaneous use with statins and a rigid diet
It is not recommended to use Zetia in the following cases:
- Acute liver disease
- Severe hepatic insufficiency
- During pregnancy and lactation
- Under the age of 18 years
Patients tolerate Zetia well, although there are side effects, but they are mild. The most common are:
- Heart and blood vessels: infrequently – a small decrease in blood pressure.
- Digestive tract: infrequently – functional hepatic disorder, gastrointestinal bleeding; often – constipation, belching, nausea, flatulence, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, gastroesophageal reflux disease, diarrhea, vomiting, bloating and other disorders.
- Nervous system: rarely – headaches; infrequently – perversion of taste (dysgeusia), dizziness.
- Immunity: rarely – hypersensitivity reactions.
- Respiratory system: infrequent – bleeding from the nose.
- Metabolism: infrequently – hyperglycemia, gout.
- Dermatological reactions: extremely rare – hives; Infrequent skin rash.
Other: a burp with a fish smell / taste is possible (appears with prolonged intake of the drug in a dose of at least 4 g per day).
Interaction with other drugs
Simultaneous administration of Zetia with oral anticoagulants increases the probability of bleeding and their duration.
When monitoring patients who took the drug in conjunction with Warfarin, hemorrhagic negative events were not recorded.
However, with a combination of these drugs or discontinuation of Zetia therapy, the prothrombin time should be monitored.
Also, parallel reception of fibrates and Zetia is not recommended.
Doctors say that ezetrol prevents the formation of bile cholesterol stones and restores the contractile function of the gallbladder. This modern medicine should soon become popular, preparations based on ezetimibe are widely distributed in the US.